Reporting Your Hunt: What’s Required?

Reporting Your Hunt What is Required

When it comes to harvesting and reporting your hunt, there can be some confusion as to what is mandatory and what is voluntary. The fact is that the requirements vary by species, and also by state. The best way to make sure you’re on the right side of the law is to work with an outfitter that provides guided hunts and who can educate you about reporting your hunt.

Reporting Your Hunt in Utah

In Utah, most reporting for big game is mandatory. Failing to properly report your hunt could affect your eligibility to obtain licenses and hunt the next season.

A complete list of reporting requirements can be found on the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

Big Game Reporting Requirements

  • General-season buck deer and bull elk – Reporting is Voluntary.
  • Bucks, bulls and bighorn sheep – reporting is Mandatory.
  • Antlerless deer, elk, moose and doe pronghorn – Reporting is Voluntary, but strongly encouraged.
  • All limited-entry, premium limited-entry, once-in-a-lifetime and CWMU permits – reporting is Mandatory. Even if you do not hunt or harvest an animal, you still must report within 30 days.

If you’re not working with an outfitter for a big game guided hunt, you can find the rest of the reporting requirements on the UDNR site. In general, most upland game, waterfowl and turkey are voluntary reporting; however, swans are mandatory. Most furbearers are also voluntary, but it is mandatory to deliver bobcat and marten pelts to a DWR representative. For successful hunters of black bears and cougars it is mandatory that you check in with a conservation office for permanent tagging within 48 hours of the kill.

Reporting Your Hunt in Wyoming

Reporting your hunt is NOT mandatory in Wyoming. The Wyoming Game & Fish Department sends Harvest Surveys out at the close of each season and strongly encourages all licensed hunters who receive a survey to complete the survey online.

For all harvested animals and meat, the tag instructions on the license must be followed, and the tag must be in the possession of the person accompanying the transportation of the animal or meat.

Big game hunting in Wyoming requires a species-specific license and Conservation Stamp, as well as permission to hunt in PLPW (Private Lands Public Wildlife) Hunter Management Areas (HMA). It is also important to note that all non-resident trophy and big game hunters must be accompanied by a licensed outfitter or guide when hunting in federally designated wilderness areas.

Hunt With a Licensed and Experienced Outfitter

Because of all of the requirements – both before and after the hunt – many novice hunters find it most helpful to hunt with a licensed and experienced outfitter like The R&K Hunting Company. We offer big game and trophy hunts in Wyoming and Utah and have access to several private hunting ranches for the ultimate hunting experience.